March 22, 2009

Banff - Day 22

Snow! Just when you think spring has sprung - the last couple of days have been about +10c - you wake up to fresh snow, lots and lots of it! Because we are safely hunkered in and don't have to shovel it or drive in it, we could just sit back and admire how gorgeous the mountains look blanketed and muffed by it, while hearing reports of how Calgary was snowed in. My husband reported that the snow was over the top of his shovel and because it was so wet and heavy, it was exhausting shoveling it.

Here are some shots of my Rundle mountain and those pine from yesterday...


Meanwhile we were safe and warm in our cabin in the woods and everyone was working at being very productive. Wendy... Gloria... Ingrid... Lesley...

I was working on a couple of pieces. One was the squares I was attaching by hand that I finally finished and am now considering the next layers. I am between a gridded sheer, a hand dyed silk, or a combination of the two - leaning towards the combination.


Then I got back to my Rocky Mountain flowers and making dye samples for when we return to the dye studio on Monday. I have a hand-painted cotton background that I stamped the first week with hand-made stamps of the Brown Eyed Susan, Queen Anne's Lace and Indian Paintbrush flowers. Then I have been playing with squares of hand-dyed silks and their positioning. I have decided to echo the original spiral shape and sew them on with free machine embroidery. The next step is to put them into a dye pot where I will dye the cottons one colour and the silks another colour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Donna - I love the colors in your Rocky Mountain flowers composition! I hope to be able to see that one when it is finished. - Barbara H.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...