April 23, 2014

CALYX 1

I made four different flowers out of copper shim for shows in past years and have one left in my stock. They featured embossed metal and free machine embroidery mounted on different backings.

The one I had left was a poppy mounted on a quilted black linen, and in discussion with my daughter on why we thought it never sold, we decided it was too stark of a contrast between the solid geometric background and the very organic flower.

So I decided to just go for it and pulled out coloured pencil crayons and start adding texture to the background - I love how it turned out!!

The before photo showing the solid background with selection of colours to be added...
  

Me working away...

 After I finished it I had to 'fix' the colours onto the cloth and this toned them down slightly. The final results, with detail shot...


 Will see what reaction it gets at the sale this weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...