July 20, 2008

Berries, berries everywhere!

Here is another piece, one that I have been very happy with. I was trying to convey the richness and juiciness of a generic berry and by using a hand dyed velvet as the background, I have densely stitched with my sewing machine to make the shapes pop out of the velvet. I used over ten different colours and thickness of threads for the background and the colour blending was very successful. The piece is very textural and lush with its depth of colours.

This first photo is the starting point with the background showing the synthetic velvet which has been dyed using iron-on DEKA paints; the colour wheel which helped decide upon the range of analogous colours to be pulled out; and the selection of threads to be used in hand and machine stitching.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...