July 16, 2008

Fruits...

So what have I been working on all summer?

Here are shots of some of my pieces (still in progress - I like to work on many pieces at once so that each gets a chance to hang and be looked at before deciding when enough is enough.)

First are the lemons that I showed you a picture of a couple of days ago. This is a shot of all the fabrics and threads I gather at the start of the process. If you look carefully, you can also see a blown up photograph of a lemon slice used for inspiration hiding under the threads.


Then blueberries... When finished I will have a couple of pieces based upon this particular fruit. This one is done in the same process as the lemon above, where I start with a hand dyed background; collage scraps of fabric bits in the shapes and colours to represent the fruit and its surroundings; then hand and machine stitch over it all to blend everything together. I have done the first two steps here and will now start the stitching.


Apples and pomegranates - this piece is totally different - as is more common among my art - usually each piece is done using a different technique. This is more of a 'whole cloth' piece in which the design was silk screened using a range of paints from yellow to purple onto the hand dyed fabric. A second layer of silk screening was done over top. The stitch done over that is Italian Cording where rows of stitches are laid down and then stuffed with wool (you can see the ends of the wool still hanging over one end.) This piece is one waiting for the final decision of how to hang it and finish the edges.

More to come...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...