November 13, 2009

New York 2009 Part 3

Onto Brooklyn and back to the DUMBO area - here is another piece of random art based upon hands cut out of mirrors. And a closeup of that quilt that was hanging on a fence (see October 10th entry).

A view of the Empire State Building as we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge.

For some reason rats were taking over the Financial District...

And the terminal for the free Staten Island Ferry that takes you past the Statute of Liberty.

The Washington Square Park Arch - a major landmark in Manhattan and surrounded by New York University. Much history can be read about on the link.

We were in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 7 hours and I could show you hundreds of pictures but you'd get bored (and I highly recommend you go there yourself!) Instead, here is the high tea we had for lunch... and grass ceremonial costumes from the South Pacific.

But I can't miss introducing you to El Anatsui. He makes fabric out of recycled metal pieces - I am in awe of his work. My biggest regret was that he was here in Calgary talking at the Glenbow Museum this October and I was out of town. Major works of his opened at the Royal Ontario Museum this summer and he has shown all around the world - more info on him here.

And on our last day we ventured out to Coney Island - exactly what I expected - amusement park on the beach and home of Nathan's, where the hot dog eating contest is held each year.

My favourite shot of my daughter's - the Empire State Building with the fog moving in one night as we walked home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...