April 11, 2012

Goodies for Calyx

So what have I been working on for the past three months???
Creating new goodies for the Calyx sale!

One major item is a new line of brooches (I try to create a new one every year or two). This time my theme is "Deconstructed... Up-cycled".

Deconstructed is defined as "To break down into components; to dismantle."
Whereas up-cycled is defined as "to reuse an object or materials to create a product of higher value or quality than the original object or materials."
So what was my source? 100% cashmere wool sweaters and extra fine Merino wool sweaters brought from local thrift stores... in as many colours as I could find - although I did stay with a natural theme of browns and greens.

Like quilting, I started with a big piece, cut it into lots of small pieces, and reassembled it into various patterns. After making a background, I then embellished the small pieces with hand stitching, beading, charms and/or buttons. The pin is then backed with leather and signed.

Here are some. They average 2 to 4 inches in any one direction.
Hope you like them... (let me know!)
and there's more...




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...